Saturday, March 19, 2011

To Go Downtown, or to Stay Home and Be Lazy

That is the question. The answer: stay home and be lazy. The weather is beautiful, however it is also pollenated. I take over the counter allergy medication, but in this part of SC pollen still dominates. My eyes are slightly itchy, and I woke up with a headache. So going downtown and writing on the waterfront seems appealing in theory, but really it isn't all that great of an experience. Especially because I'm so ADD that every tourist who walks by will steal my focus no matter how old they are.

I remember seeing an episode of "Family Guy" one time that made fun of writers who take their laptops to Starbucks. It implied that writers have to be "watched" while doing their work, and maybe that's true for some people, but I have a feeling that the majority of writers have the same philosphy as I do. While writing in a public place can lead to distraction, there are many more distractions at home. For me, that includes getting up frequently to get a drink, go to the bathroom, but most of the time it means letting the dogs in or out. If I have my laptop in a public place, I'm going to stay in one spot with it. If I need to use the bathroom, it's going with me, and packing it up, taking it to the bathroom, and then unpacking it and getting back to work take too much effort.

The biggest reason why coffee shops are such hotspots for writers, is because unless you've made a ton of money off your books, then odds are you can't afford an office. Writing in a public place gives the feeling of being at an office, and an "office mentality" probably means you're most likely to get a lot of work done.

Also, the majority of writers are shy, introverted people. So to imply that they go out in public to be "watched" just makes an ass out of you and me.

For today, I'm going to do my work from home. Mostly, because I'm enjoying watching my fat dog, Joey, react to my dad cleaning up around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment